Things to do in Chatham Ontario CanadaSeptember 18, 2012
If you’re a go getter, you will find there is a million things to do in this little wee town of ours. So here it is, The most complete list ever made so far. The purpose is to help friends find things to do that they may not even be aware of.
Things to do in Chatham -Kent
Random Things to do:
* Go see a movie in the brand new state of the art theatre. Galaxy Cinema.
* Catch a Chatham Maroons Game Live (Jr. B Hockey) Website.
* Dresden Raceway. 100 slot machines, horse-racing etc.
* Take someone to go play bingo.
* Visit Spanky’s Adult Entertainment. 182 King St W.
* WAMBO (Wallaceburg Antique Motor & Boat Outing)
* Rib Fest (annual summer event with entertainment for everyone).
* Retro Fest (Our community is known as the Classic Car Capital.
* Blenheim Cherry Fest – Live entertainment, rides, performers etc.
* The Caribbean-Canadian festival.
* Thamesville Threshing Festival.
* Pain Court Annual Truck & Tractor Pull.
* Tilbury Puddle Jump Event. Mud Bog, live entertainment. (Usually in August).
* Mitchell’s Bay Singing Contest. On site camping.
* Kinsmen Fair. June 6-9 2013.
* Culture Factory. Live bands, poetry, theatre etc.
* Get invloved with the “amazing race“.
For kids & Sometimes Adults.
* Skate Board Park (Opened in 2007).
* Kingston Park & splash pad. (new) Toboggan on the huge hill in winter.
* Greenview Averies. All Day fun.
* Early Years Drop In Centre. Complete play area & programs. Gym with tons of stuff for kids.
* Join gymnastics classes & competitive teams. Link.
* Horse Back Riding, all ages, camps, competitive, lessons etc. @ TJ Stables.
* New Pottery Painting Studio Crock a Doodle.
* Swimming in over 10 public pools available to you. Click for list.
* Take your children Ice skating. Over 8 Arena’s to choose from.
* Colasanti’s Tropical Gardens. Petting farm, mini golf, kids rides, bumper cars.
* Sign your child up for dance lessons with: All That Jazz, Debbie McGonigle School of Dance, Cornell School Of Irish Dance, Erin’s Dance Club, or Pure Academy.
* CK Youth Festival: Held annually @ Tecumseh Park.
* Library: Bring your kids to read & play & see special events. Events schedule.
* Kids Fishing Derby – Ages 2-17.
* Also, see music lessons listed further down. Put your kids in music.
* CK Hallowe’en Fest! (Fun for Kids) Saturday, October 27, 2012.
* Spooktacular: Haunted hay ride, corn maze, kids zip line, petting barn etc.
* Popular Corn Maze: cow train, mini maze etc. Aug 31- Oct 28th.
Kenesserie Camp: Christian camp, St. Vincent de Paul Camp, St. Clair College – Camps for Kids, Horse Camp @ TJ Stables, Theme camps at the Wish Centre & YMCA & Cultural Centre, Pottery Creative Camps @ Crock A Doodle,
Music Lessons (Guitar, voice, piano, drums, etc).
* Frank’s Music Centre: 519-352-7370
* Musical Strings ‘N’ Things Ltd: (519) 354-0111
* Tony’s One Stop Music Shoppe: (519) 351-4885
* The Chatham Concert Band Junior Program (Free)
* If you can’t find a teacher for your instrument of choice, ask the people at the above stores & they will pass you on to private instructors.
* Rondeau Provincial Park: 262 Camp sites, beaches, swimming, six hiking trails, bird watching, canoeing, fishing.
* July & August: Parks Blueberries. 20 minutes from Chatham, a good time picking the best berries with your kids & visit the shop & great food.
* Visit CM Wilson’s Conservation Area & Safety Village.
* Visit Wheatley Provincial Park.
* Mitchell’s Bay: Swimming, beach, splash pad, camping, cabins etc.
* Erieau Beach: Park & playground, sand volleyball, BBQ grills. Swimming, rent boats & equipment for water sports.
* Indian Creek walking path. (Mud Creek) Popular jogging path with ducks, geese, cranes & creek life.
* Take a walk through Paxton’s Bush. At 18 acres, it’s the largest standing woodlot in Chatham.
* Smith & Wilson Estate Wines. A beautiful Winery, that hosts outdoor concerts often. Live Blues, jazz & motown.
* Outdoor touring? Click the list of many places.
* John Waddell Off Leash Dog Park (New).
* Ghost Walks (annual).
* Spend your day at the park. Over 130 parks in Chathamm-Kent. here is the list.
* Brand New YMCA Building. Gym, pool, youth programs, group fitness, lessons, play zone, sports etc.
* Golfing: Nine courses located across the municipality. List.
* Fishing: We got the best lakes in the world. Lake Erie & Lake St. Clair. Info.
* Hunting: Check it out.
* Kenpo Karate: Kung Fu fighting. Lessons offered from various groups. here & here.
* Ice skating: There are 10 arenas in Chatham. Click here for 2012-2012 skating schedule.
* Get buddies together to play ice hockey or ball hockey, you can rent the arena. Call 519.360.1998.
* Brand new skating rink in front of the downtown mall.
* Leagues: Click here to join a team or league like baseball, Hockey, Figure Skating, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis or Curling.
* Water Sports: Kite Surfing, Wakeboarding & Scuba Diving all available. View list.
* Racing: South Buxton Raceway – If you enjoy live car racing.
* Wolfe Creek BMX: A non-profit BMX race track.
* Rugby League: Founded in 2001, Chatham has a rugby team in the Southwest Rugby Union.
* Gun Club: Facilities for rifle, pistol, shotgun and archery.
* Hunters Club: Est, 1964. Trap & skeet fields, indoor & outdoor pistol, outdoor centerfire rifle, blackpowder rifle and archery.
* Dover Rod and Gun Club.
* Bowling: Links to all.
* Curling: Links to all clubs.
* Fitness Clubs: Join one of the many listed here.
* Sports and Hobbie Clubs: links to Antique, Classic Car, Canoe, Cycling, Racquet Squash, Badminton, Astronauts, Camera, Tennis, Conservation, Archer, Horseshoe, Dance, Fishing, Swim, Snowmobile Clubs.
* Seniors’ Programs and Resources.
* Horticultural Societ: Many to choose from.
* Lawn Bowling: Many places to join.
* Become a member of one of the many Legions in Chatham-Kent.
* Get involved with a service club. Too many to choose from.
* Active Lifestyle Centre: 50+. Mon-Fri. Participate in activities to enhance lifestyle and needs.
* Visit any of the Senior centres that offer to you.
Theatre, Art & Culture.
* The Capitol Theatre – One of the most beautiful Theatres in Canada. Catch great live shows.
* Cultural Centre. Tons of shows, camps for kids, plays, comedy, programs, concerts.
* Catch a movie at The Drive In. (Tilbury). Website.
* Art Space.
* Boomtown Players.
* Chatham-Kent Film Group.
* Ridge Players Inc.
* Take a Bow Productions.
* Theatre Kent.
* Wallaceburg Little Theatre.
* Ursuline Theatre.
* Kiwanis Theatre.
* Pure Dance Academy.
* Thames Art Gallery.
* Rhythm of the Night Dance Studio.
* Chatham-Kent Museums (many).
* Dinner & dance events at the Filipino Club.
* Performances by the Portuguese dance ensemble
* Chinese New Year Celebrations.
* Visit the Black Historical Society ,The Heritage Room.
* Get connected with our Cultural Communities & clubs. List of them.
* Pride-CK (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered, Transsexual etc.) hosts several events.
* Oktoberfest! (Rotary Club) First ever @ the new Bradley Convention Centre Oct 6th 2012.
Other Bars & Venues with live music.
* Encore – Live bands every weekend. Special Events.
* Big Shots – Live music often.
* Elephant’s Nest – Every weekend. Tuesdays Open Mic Night.
* Jazzbah – bands most weekends. Karaoke Nights Thurdays.
* St. Philippes Music Hall in Grande Pointe. Country Jamborees – last Sunday of every month.
* Central Tavern in Pain Court. Live bands every weekend.
* William Street Cafe – odd live show, poetry slams etc.
* Frendz Tapas & Martini Lounge – sometimes live music. (Beside the Capitol Theatre).
* River Rock – Ocassionally hosts live music.
* Rossini’s Restaurant – Classical guitar etc. sometimes.
* Royal Tavern – live music time to time.
* Churrascaria Steak House – 525 Grand Ave E, Chatham. The odd acoustic performance.
* Coffee Culture (Down town) – Acoustic patio performances during the summer.
* Band Shell – Tecumseh Park: Chatham Concert Band: Live every Wednesday, all summer, outdoors.
If that is not enough, you have a zillion choices of things to do that are within an one hour drive time. Here is a small sample of idea’s for you.
* Detroit U.S.A. – Major concerts, Zoo, major league sports teams, shopping etc.
* (Dresden) Uncle Tom’s Cabin.
* (London) Children’s Museum.
* (London) Story Book Gardens.
* (London) Ski @ Boler Mountain.
* (London) Western Fair. Events, rides, concerts etc.
* (London) John Labatt Centre. Major concerts, sports etc.
* (Sarnia) Blue Water Fun Park: Water slides etc.
* (Windsor) Casino.
* (Windsor) WFCU Centre. Major concerts, sports, theatre etc.
* (Windsor) Devonshire Mall. Shopping.
* Chatham Music Archive (musical performances)
* CK Tickets.
* Chatham-Kent Events Calendar.
* Chatham Events (Canada’s Rock Station)
* Music Event listings (by Strings & Things)
* Chatham Concert Band.
* Arts & Culture.
* Smith & Wilson Estate Wines.
* Encore Bar (Chatham)
* Mary Webb Centre.
* Leamington Events.